Renaissance Complex

According to the historical sources in the second half of the 16th century the town bears the name Balchik. According to Paul Georgic, the merchant of Dubrovnik, in 1595, he was inhabited only by Bulgarians. Over the next two centuries, however, he was turksized.

As early as the sixteenth century the city developed as a commercial center of a large agricultural area. An important branch of the economy is obviously the trade with sheeps. The economic development of Balchik led to its formation as an administrative center. In a document from 1676, it was designated as a caissa, a district center. In the seventeenth century the city was visited by the Turkish traveler Evlia Chelebi. At that time, Balchik has 500 beautiful houses and is divided into five neighborhoods, each of which has one mosque.

The town was built after the Russian-Turkish War of 1828-1829 and especially after the Crimean War (1853-1856). Bulgarian families from Kotel, Gradets, Zheravna, Medven, Sliven, Tryavna, Tarnovo and Yambol, as well as some emigrants to Bessarabia settle in the upper quarter (now called Horizon) and nearly double the number of urban residents. In 1872 Balchik reached in 7000 people.

The national self-organization of the Bulgarians in Balchik, as well as everywhere in the mixed cities, first appeared in the educational field. The opening of the first Bulgarian school in the city in 1845 is related to the name and the work of the Balchik leader Kolyo Raichev. With the help of the Bulgarian population, together with the school, the church “St. Nicholas “, in which Pop Ivan began to serve in the Church’s Slavic language. By opening doors it provokes the wrath of the Greek spiritual power. In 1848 it was closed by the Protosyngel of the Metropolitan Cathedral in Varna. Then Kolyo Raichev gave up his own school house and brought Paraskev Nikolov from Sliven as a teacher. In the difficult struggle for the preservation of the Bulgarian education, Balchik managed first to build an independent school building in Dobrich in 1851. Soon the school became the center of Bulgarian culture in the town.

Address: Town of Balchik, 3 Vazrazhdane Str. 9600

Leave a Message

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *